At Rouse we are committed to managing our business in a way that has a positive impact on the communities we operate in. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is integral to our business and its values.
Rouse Africa awarded “Africa Firm to Watch - 2017” by Managing IP
- We recently won this award at leading intellectual property magazine, Managing Intellectual Property's 2017 Global IP Awards ceremony held at The Savoy in London. Read more.
At Rouse Africa, we understand the importance of a well strategised approach to your business's IP development.
- We’ve got more than a decade’s experience on the continent and a comprehensive network of Intellectual Property associates in every jurisdiction. Our experts include patent, trade mark and copyright professionals and an Advocate from Africa, who have extensive combined knowledge of IP in Africa and who understand the different complexities and requirements in individual African countries.
IP Karibu - our dedicated Africa blog
- All the latest IP news coming direct from our specialists throughout Africa.
- Our IP Karibu team is made up of qualified legal experts from ARIPO, Cameroon, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria and South Africa.
A to Z Guide - our guide to IP in Africa
- Let us lead you on a tour of Africa, a new frontier for global IP. In our A to Z guide, each month we will unveil the latest developments in African IP, as well as provide an insight to the economic, social and cultural complexities of Africa's flourishing economies.
Trade mark filings in Africa are actually doubling year on year, and according to the World Intellectual Property Organisation, global IP activity in 2014 grew by 9% for patents and 6.4% for trade marks. We have extensive experience in all aspects of trade mark filing and prosecution in Africa, and advise on trade mark strategy for some of the largest companies in the world across the automotive, financial services and electronics sectors amongst others.
We handle African trade mark registrations in individual African countries, as well as regional African filing systems such as OAPI and ARIPO.
The volume of patent applications that we file in Africa is increasing by an average of 40% each year, mostly focused in the ARIPO and OAPI countries. We look after patent issues for a number of international organisations from the online technology, pharmaceutical/biotech, financial services and other sectors.
Our services include searches, legal opinions, filing and prosecution, renewals, patent portfolio management, enforcement of rights, drafting licence agreements and recording licences.
We assist clients in protecting their designs in Africa; filing registered designs, industrial designs and utility model applications, as well as handling recordals and renewals.
We handle all aspects of domain name registrations, renewals and disputes in African countries for a wide range of international clients.
South Africa is a member of the Berne Convention and South African copyright law is in compliance with the copyright laws of most industrialised nations. Copyright arises automatically and, with the exception of cinematographic films, no registration is required or is even possible.
the consistency with which the firm operates across its sweeping international network is something not easily replicated. Rouse always dares to tread new ground.World Trademark Review 1000 2015